Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Wedding and Wine

I've somewhat recently been put in charge of procuring wine for my cousins wedding. This is a bit of an exciting task. So I've jumped into doing research about quantities (each wine drinking guest = 2 glasses with 4-5 glasses a bottle) plus champagne for the toast (each drinking guest 1.5 glasses with ~6 small glasses per bottle). Now it's time to test my skills of finding something that will fit the budget. My uncle (to whom this task has been delegated, moving then on to me) doesn't want to go under ~$10 a bottle, which is great and will make my life a lot easier. I was previously thinking on keeping it as inexpensive as possible because its a fairly young kid wedding, so I was thinking Hogue Chardonnay for the white wine (~$6/btl on sale, good mass wine) and kicking around ideas for reds (Columbia Crest Grand Estates Merlot, $9/btl, or Red Diamond ~$7). I would still recommend the Grand Estates, although the year is changing and I haven't had a chance to try it. So this is the task: They're thinking four different wines. Chardonnay and Pinot Grigio for the white drinkers, Zin and maybe pinot noir/cabernet for the reds. I personally think zinfandel is a great choice because so many people like it, it's approachable and has the best chance for a red that plays well with spicier foods (it's a bayou/new orleans themed food/music event). The wedding is about 60 days away, so it's time for me to really start reeling in those ideas and deals. This should be good.

No comments: