Wednesday, January 23, 2008

a brief note on rieslings

Last Monday I went to a tasting of Kesselstatt rieslings. I had read about how in some rieslings you can pick up a distinct petrol or diesel aroma but had never actually smelled it in a wine. Probably because I don't drink a lot of riesling and those that I tend to drink are usually domestic (I believe the diesel thing comes mostly from German rieslings...). So at this tasting, not more than 3 wines into the show I smelled that diesel. It was coming through real good. I didn't feel this transfered into your mouth as far as taste goes, although one of the more inexpensive ones did have a little something quirky going on. It was fun and kind of exciting to actually smell the diesel component. And this brings up another quick question...

Is this such a good thing? I mean, I heard it was a mark of a well made riesling. But smelling diesel in your wine could easily be offputting. While I was doing the tasting I was moving at about the same pace as another gentlemen. He practically read my mind when he said "Well, it's just like being down at the farm!" He was right. I could picture the diesel tractor fired up (especially on one wine that had the diesel thing going on and then some hay/almost barnyard notes). Who'd a thought? Diesel in your wine. Now I just gotta find a nice example of cat piss.

Seriously, it's considered a good thing in some French reds...

No comments: