Thursday, July 31, 2008

Oregon Brewfest 2008

I managed to get last Saturday off, as wedding duties called for the third weekend in a row. To my (pleasant) surprise the wedding didn't start until 6 pm. That left me with a free afternoon and the chance to go to the Oregon BrewFest. I never had the opportunity to go before, always working and such, so I jumped at the opportunity.

Here are some standouts:

New Holland Brewery (MI): Dragon's Ale
- Classified as a "strong ale", this comes in your mug looking like a porter. Nice and dark with all those stout/porter flavors you love, backed by some decent hops. The key to this one is that it is finished in oak bourbon barrels. Being a lover of Jack Daniel's for it's oaky/charcoal/sweetness on the finish I was high as a bird that the beer had a very similar finish. If you like 'em big, strong and dark, search this one out.

Surly Brewing Company (MN): Coffee Bender
- Once again, my bias towards two things I love a) dark beer and b) coffee find a winner. Full of maltiness, carmel notes and (duh) coffee, I was in heaven. Delicious.

There were other standouts, too, but alas, I left my program in the porta-potty. And I didn't take any real notes anyways. These were the two winners in my book, so search 'em out beer lovers!

No comments: