Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Pork chop extravaganza!

All this Iron Chef talk has sparked the gourmet holed up in my head to peak out and want to get back into the mix. Since I had a few moments during work (slower Wednesday) I started making a shopping list. Like most shopping lists I make I end up only getting half of the things on it. My grocery list isn't so much a list but a brainstorm. I write down all the ingredients I think I might need to create a couple of different dishes and then depending on the sales and my whim I whittle it down. Here's what come together tonight.

Pan Fried Pork Chop Stuffed with Havarti, Fresh Basil and Carmelized Onion with Port Sauce:

Double breaded the chop in a mix of flour and breadcrumbs. Stuffed it with about a slice of Havarti (which melts beautifully), fresh basil and caramelized onion. Threw it in the cast iron skillet on high heat for just a couple minutes a side, until nice and browned. Then it's into the oven at 400 degrees for about 10 - 12 minutes.

After pulling the chops out of the oven I made a port sauce. Poured some (cheap) port into the skillet, scraping up the little bits. After the sauce has reduced a bit I threw in a tablespoon or two of butter and whisked. This helps bring the sauce together a bit.

Served with roasted potatoes and carrots, it turned out to be a proper dinner! I'm all about browning the meat on high in the cast iron and then finishing it in the oven. You should try it if you haven't already! It really helps to not overcook the meat.

Had it with the H3 Columbia Crest Merlot. I've discussed it before, so I won't do the whole redux thing here. I'm really here to talk about the food. And I've done that. So until next time...

Peace Love and Chicken Grease,
Matt

No comments: