Tuesday, September 16, 2008

In case anyone is reading in Portland...

My birthday is coming up. I usually don't do much of anything for my birthday. Always been content with just hanging with a friend or two, watching a movie, whatever. But my 25th is coming up. As you all know I live in Portland, OR. I'm also a bit of a foodie. So I'm thinking, real nice dinner at some cool restaurant. Here is the short list I've worked up so far. If anyone is out there I'm more than open to suggestions!

In no particular order:

- El Gaucho

I've always wanted to go to a fancy steakhouse and Gaucho fits the bill for me. A couple of friends of mine have been there and I've only heard awesome things. I just want to eat a fat steak, get super awesome service and have some nice wine (which hopefully won't break the bank too much).

- La Pigeon

This restaurant has gotten raves in all the local publications, some national included. Chef Gabriel Rucker has rocketed into the Portland foodies conscious (hey, how many chefs can you name in Portland. Point made). I just wanna eat there. I feel like it should is a Portland food rite of passage.

- Beast

Started by chef Naomi Pomeroy, who was one of the chefs that seemed to spearhead the Portland/food destination before the NY Times was writing about us. There's a good amount of drama involved with her backstory (most of which seems to involve her old partner) but I don't care to do the research to get the facts straight and report here. Here's what I do know. Beast is her new restaurant. It has a rotating menu, depending on what is available and fresh. Fixed price menu of either 3 or 5 courses. Can add wine pairings if you desire for the extra money. No substitutions. Lots of meat. Foie gras, too. Gotta try foie gras, dammit!

2 comments:

scory said...

Beast -- if for no other reason than I'm going there for my birthday, and am flying in from Washington, DC, no less.

Also two of my ten favorite restaurant meals ever were at restaurants at which Naomi Pomeroy was involved.

Professor Misley said...

Thanks for the suggestion Scory! In fact I took today off to go to Beast's brunch. Gonna write a short post on it right now! Definitely want to follow up for the full dinner spread...