Monday, September 10, 2007

Trade tasting season is now open...

Apologies (and love to the one and only Montastic) for the hiatus. But now it's getting near tasting season. Lots of good shows will be taking place over the next few months and I'll try to get on here and let you know what I find. Any tasting notes here are just from what I remember...

Today was California through one of my distributors. There were a few big names present, most notably Joseph Phelps (Insignia included!), Nickel & Nickel and Staglin. Here are some wines I felt are worth picking up or even searching out. In depth post to follow about Staglin and Insignia.

Joseph Phelps, Le Mistral 2005: This is a red blend of multiple grapes (syrah, grenache, mouvedre and a few others) which is a typical style of southern France (I think, French wines are my weakness...and I don't mean I'm crazy about them, I just don't have much exposure to them). A nice get away from straight varietal wines. Retail ~$40

J. Lohr Valdiguie 2006: This was one wine I have never heard of (meaning the grape). A fairly obscure grape from France that makes a lighter style wine. Nothing crazy good about it, maybe an interesting note of liquorice and red fruit (think kinda pinot noir-ish) but would be a good bottle when retailing ~$8.50

Nickel & Nickel Zinfandel Bonfire Dry Creek 2005: No real tasting notes on this, but it was my favorite zin there. It should be at $52

Hahn Cab Franc 2005: There's not a whole lot of cab franc options out there it seems and most at this price point can't compete. Good value when looking for something different. ~$12

Cycles Gladiator, most varietals: Not bad juice at the price. Wasn't crazy about the merlot, though. I thought the syrah was notable. From ~$7.50 (syrah)- $14 (pinot)

No comments: