Thursday, October 18, 2007

Tonight's Wine Steward Adventure!

Tonight I ventured out into territory you might not expect me too, being a wine professional and all (now that sounds weird, but I suppose it's true). Yellow Tail Land.

That's right, Yellow Tail, the monster of an Australian brand was brought back home for the lovely price of $6.99. I've tried the other members of the Yellow Tail lineup. Let's say they are not really my style, kinda sweet/Kool-Aid-ish. However, tonight's bottle was a new member to their lineup and I think it definitely has some potential. Yellow Tail now has a Pinot Noir.

I was intrigued just at the thought of a YT Pinot Noir. I didn't know what to expect for $7. I mean, finding an Oregon pinot for under $10 is hard enough no matter how terrible it might be. So here's what I found out...

It was very drinkable. Light, but not as light as other pinots I've had before, a bit darker in color. The nose made me think of cola and raspberries, maybe, just maybe, a bit of coffee/cocoa (although quite debatable). On the palate it followed up on the light raspberry flavors with a shorter finish. Of course, not a lot of depth here. But who are we kidding! It was seven-freakin-dollars! Really not bad at all. If you want a cheapo-pinot, this is probably your best bet at the supermarket. Besides, who can afford Oregon pinots every night? That starts hurting the wallet pretty fast.

In a final word, I'm giving the Yellow Tail Pinot Noir a thumbs up.

No comments: