Sunday, October 12, 2008

B-day wine: Del Dotto Cab

Del Dotto Cabernet 2006:

My parents just picked this bottle up during their recent trip to Napa. If you have seen pictures of their cave and tasting room, by all means, check it out tonight! Pure opulence, Italian marble, ornate everything. The cool thing is that in this super fancy setting the owner Dave Del Dotto was pouring at the tasting bar! He struck up conversation with my parents, talked about his favorite place to get oysters in Portland (Jake's) and then called my parents out on pinot noir. It went something like "So you Oregonians think you can make good pinot huh? Well I'll show you something!". He ran into a back room and grabbed a bottle of their pinot noir which was even on the tasting list and popped it open. "Take that Willamette Valley!".

Anyways, the wine was tasty tasty (yes, two tastys). Very young but accessible already. It is super full of spice and oakiness. There are a lot of layers of flavor going on here. A solid core of fruit is there all the while. I enojyed it because it wasn't over the top fruity like a lot of higher end Napa cabs can get. It should be fun to see how this develops, but I doubt the other 2 bottles are going to last that long! I might have the opportunity to crack open a bottle of their Cab Franc for my dad's b-day, which is coming up in a few days. I'll surely report if and when we do...

No comments: