Thursday, October 30, 2008

Two pinots, two pizzas

I tried two different pinots this week (so far), so I should probably report on them. And I made lots of yummy pizza! Three different ones in two days. For the record, one was cheese with marinara, one was sausage and onion on pesto base and the last was sauteed mushrooms on a pesto base. Good stuff all around, but let's talk about the vino!

Tyee Cellars pinot noir 2005:

- picked this up on a really good sale. It's one of the few 2005's that are still hanging around (there are even some 2007's). I hear that they tend to make more robust pinots, bigger in style and such. I wanted to give it a shot because I tend to go for the bigger wines myself. It was certainly aged in oak a bit more with medium tannins. The fruit was ok, but even on a great sale of $17/btl I wanted a bit more. Pass.

Foris Rogue Valley Pinot Noir 2006:

- So I was recently turned on to this wine by a customer who brought in an article from the WSJ. This article listed three different wines that I carry (Ponzi pinot noir 2006, King Estate pinot 2006, and this wine) that were suggested as ones to check out. I had tried the 2005 pinot from Foris and wasn't blown away. It was OK be all measures but that was about it. The 2006 is defintely worth checking out. It is solid value for the money in Oregon pinot land, where a bottle of wine can easily reach over $20. Do yourself a favor, pick one up this weekend. Good fruit, solid tannins that give it nice structure (which differentiate it from the cheap OR pinots that to me taste like raspberry iced tea), overall it is a really solid made wine for the price. This is one I'll be picking up for the holidays and knowing my family we'll tear through a couple cases before I even get off of work!

No comments: