Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Food and Halloween Pumpkin Patch Trip

I was recently recounting a horror story of sorts to coworkers about a trip to a "pumpkin patch". This patch was certainly not a pumpkin patch, but a hodge podge of picked pumpkins placed on someones lawn, a haunted house, carny-esque folk and caged animals. This farm/patch had all sorts of animals caged up that were outside of your normal animals-in-cages viewing pleasure. Patagonian curvies, two tigers, camels, sugarbear, lynx and other things. This is not a professional zoo. This is some caca flavored farm in Canby, OR. They had a sign up declaring that many of the animals had been abondoned and that they were acting as a sort of refuge camp. It just didn't feel right, and the lady with no chin eating a hot dog and telling us we could buy one of her hogs didn't help.

But to the meat of the story, as I was telling people at work about all the different animals they got excited, even though I was making an effort to express the creapiness of it all. Now, you that know me know that I really have nothing against caged animals. There are lots of arguments to be made for more humane conditions and against factory farms, but all in all I think there is enough human suffering that we should be worrying about, even in our own back yard.

So I came to this conclusion: I'm not against animals being caged up, I just want the opportunity to eat them when they are. At least then if they are being caged they are being raised for a purpose. But a tiger? Patagonian curvy? Lynx? I can't eat you, let's get you out of that cage!

No comments: