Friday, May 23, 2008

Abyss (!) and Vitamin R

I finally cracked the Abyss open last night (!). It was heaven. Really good stuff. Full of chocolate and coffee aromas and flavors. Barely carbonated. Dark as night. The smell made me think of a coffee milkshake at first. This is the beer that people were freaking out about. There were stories about people calling from out of state and offering to buy restaurants allocations for three times the normal mark up. Hard to get your hands on. Basically, you had to be on the list months before the release and quantities were very limited.

All in all it was really good. I wish I could pick up another one. It had a bit of sweetness, too. It beats the hell out of Guinness, and I love me some Guinness!

In other beer news, out at Slabtown in NW Portland they carry Rainer tall boys for $2. I was actually pretty excited for this beer because I hadn't seen it since I visited a friend out in La Grande. After the bachelor party weekend, which involved many divey places, it seems to be quite available. Shows where I go out to. It's cheap, that's for sure, but I personally think it's the best cheap beer out there. It drinks better than PBR and High Life. After doing some research it seems that this "local" cheap brew is actually brewed under contract in California. It used to be brewed up near Seattle. I think I like it for the added fact that it is nicknamed "Vitamin R". Mmmmmmm, vitamins

No comments: