Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Rogue Chipotle Beer and Oswego Hills PG

Beer and spicy food go together like, well, beer and spicy food. So why not mix the two? Or so goes the thinking from our beloved Rogue Brewery in Oregon with their Chipotle Ale. It carries a bit of a bite and the chipotle pepper, well known for its smokey/spicy character, shows itself the most on the finish. It's not real hoppy or bitter (35 IBUs), which I imagine would fight the heat too much. It's a mixed bag for me. I like the experimentation but overall it was kind of hard to get through the whole 12 oz. Worth a sip on the tasting menu and could make for some interesting food pairings.

Oswego Hills Winery is located no more than probably 4 miles from my house in the West Linn/Lake Oswego area. I've heard about their wines from customers, mostly positive. At dinner last night we cracked a bottle of their 2005 Pinot Gris with baked salmon, roasted potatoes and broccoli. It had just a touch of effervescence and some nice tropical fruit flavors. On the lighter side but still enjoyable nonetheless. Their website lists it at $15/btl.

One last teaser for the blog that I can't remember if I shared earlier. I got my hands on a bottle of Deschutes Brewery Abyss Imperial Stout. There was such a hoopla when this beer first came out due to its limited availability and reports of how good it is (called by some the best imperial stout. ever.). I've been holding on to this for about a month. Almost popped it open a week ago but was battling a bit of a cold. Look forward to that one coming soon!

cheers

No comments: