Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Northstar Merlot 2004

Picked this up on a really good sale yesterday and cracked it with the parents. Wanted to see what was happening because it received a 91 pt rating from Wine Spectator. So after having some pulled pork (papa home made, of course) I poured myself a glass. Initially a little slow to show itself it definitely opened up quickly. The nose has some nice richness to it. Berries and something else I can't quite name. Tasting notes say white pepper and olive, but I was kind of thinking a hint of licorice, but I think that was stretching it. Well, while the nose was quite nice I was a little disappointed when I put it in my mouth. I thought it was a little flat. It had some nice tannins but those followed a midpalate that didn't do much for me. Now, keep in mind that for me "a little disappointed" is related to the fact that this will cost you generally ~$40/btl. Overall a good wine, but I wouldn't push it past 89 pts.

No comments: